When a visitor enters the new home of Nguyen Thi Phuong (52) and Ha Tat Te (56), the first thing the guest may notice is a photograph hanging by the front door. Carefully bounded by a white and yellow frame, the photograph shows several members of the Habitat for Humanity Vietnam team and the Australian volunteers who helped build Phuong and Te home during a Global Village build in 2015.

Ha Tat Te

Ha Tat Te and the GV team in 2015 (green tshirt, third from the left)

More than just a picture, the photograph is a reminder of the story behind the home and the resilience of the family of four that resides here.

Six years ago, Te fell on the construction site where he was working and broke both of his legs. As a result of his leg injuries, he was no longer able to keep his construction job. With the family depending entirely on her income, Phuong continues to work in the brick factory every day of the week to provide financially for the family.

Compounding upon the family’s struggles following Te’s accident, the family’s old house, which had a roof made from thin plastic, did not adequately protect them from the weather patterns common to the Quảng Nam province in central Vietnam. When it rained, the family did not have a place to sleep because everything became wet and damp. In the hot sun, the plastic roof did not provide the family any relief from the heat because the inside of the home became very hot.

In 2015, Habitat for Humanity Vietnam selected the family to receive a donation of VND 45,000,000 (roughly USD $2000) to build a new house. In addition to the financial support, Habitat for Humanity Vietnam provided construction oversight and recruited a Global Village volunteer team to build a new home with two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a toilet, and a new roof.

VIET-16-0333-MF

A year has passed since the new home was constructed and the family’s only daughter, Ha Thi Lanh, is now 14. Lanh recounts the times when she was able to practice her English skills with the Global Village volunteers while they worked on the home’s construction. Phuong, with the smile of a proud mother, happily shares that Lanh is a talented student.

VIET-16-0321-MF

Lanh humbly smiles and says that her favorite subjects in school are history, mathematics, and literature. Her school desk is filled to the brim with the school books that she has saved throughout the years, further evidence of her deep love of learning. Lanh’s dream is to attend university to become a teacher so that she can support her parents and teach the poor children in remote communities near her home.

VIET-16-0335-MFWhen her younger brother, Ha Minh Loi (10), is asked what his dreams are, he blushingly looks at the ground with the youthfulness of a 10-year-old boy and says that he is not sure yet. Loi likes mathematics. A soccer ball sits under his desk, hinting at his love to play the game with his sister and their friends. Despite the family’s small income, Phuong is happy that Lanh and Loi can continue to go to school and grow up safely in their new house.

Regarding their new home, Lanh says that her favorite part is the new roof because it protects her family from the rain and the sun. Phuong says that she never thought she would have a home so sturdy, sharing, “Before, I had never thought of a new house, even in my dreams. We are so poor, sometimes my family didn’t have money to buy food, not to mention build a new house. Now we have one (a new house) and I wish to have good health to work to earn enough money to raise the kids.”

Credits to Timber Beeninga

Vu Van Thanh
“We have to work less thanks to the new clean water system”
June 29, 2016
VIET-16-0173-MF
Give this child an opportunity to grow up in decent shelter
July 18, 2016
VIET-16-0322-MF

11 Comments

1. 12bet wap says:

These are genuinely wonderful ideas in on the topic of blogging.

You have touched some nice factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

2. Johng66 says:

An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I feel that you must write more on this topic, it won’t be a taboo subject but typically people are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers fkbgfeegdcgk

3. Smithb923 says:

This event occurred rigt after the time Mario return to the Mushroom Kingdom so it had to take place after kdebcekdgdcgefdd

4. 12bet says:

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It will always be useful to read articles from other
    authors and practice something from their websites.

5. After checking out a number of the blog posts on your blog,
    I seriously like your technique of blogging. I book
    marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking
    back soon. Take a look at my web site as well and let
    me know what you think.

6. m88sport says:

Its like you learn my mind! You appear to grasp so much about this,
    like you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you simply could
    do with a few % to power the message home a bit, however instead of
    that, that is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

7. I always used to study post in news papers
    but now as I am a user of web thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

8. Verna says:

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, so he/she wishes to be available that in detail, thus that thing is
    maintained over here.

9. w88 says:

I just like the helpful info you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly.

I’m relatively certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right right here!
    Good luck for the following!

10. I appreciate, cause I found just what I used
    to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my four
    day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
    Bye

11. Elisa Brown says:

I came to your A picture of resilience and a new future | Habitat for Humanity Vietnam page and noticed you could have a lot more traffic. I have found that the key to running a website is making sure the visitors you are getting are interested in your subject matter. There is a company that you can get traffic from and they let you try it for free. I managed to get over 500 targeted visitors to day to my website. Visit them today: http://pcgroup.com.uy/15

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X Window

Text description...

Ha Noi

Address: Room 203, E3 Building, Trung Tu Diplomatic Compound, 6 Dang Van Ngu, Dong Da Dist, Hanoi
Phone: +84 (04) 3715 2615 - Fax: +84 (04) 3715 2614

Phu Tho

Project name: Improving shelter security, health and disaster resilience in Phu Tho province
Project length: February 2015 - June 2016
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH
Beneficiaries: 41 households; 3 local authorities, 500 teachers and students and additional 100 villagers via training
Donor: Habitat for Humanity Australia
Budget: US$ 110,000

Thai Nguyen

Project name: Low-income housing, water and education in Thai Nguyen province
Project length: November 2014 – October 2015
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH
Beneficiaries: 92 households; 210 community members and local authorities via training and 1000 students via equipment of IT classroom
Donor: Samsung
Budget: US$ 225,000

Hoa Binh

Project name: Improved housing and WASH for low-income households in Northern Vietnam
Project length: January 2014 – June 2015
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH
Beneficiaries: 80 ethnic minority households; 5 local authorities and additional 200 community members via training
Donor: Evonik Industries
Budget: € 120,000

Quang Nam

#1
Project name: Building Disaster Resilient Communities
Project length: March 2014 - December 2015
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH, CBDRM
Beneficiaries: 65 households; 200 local masons and 1200 local authorities and community members via training
Donor: Habitat for Humanity Australia

Phone: +84 (08) 3526 5005 - Fax: +84 (08) 3526 5323
Email: info@habitatvietnam.org

Tien Giang

Project name: Nine Dragons – Phase 2
Project length: October 2013 – September 2015
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH, CBDRM
Beneficiaries: 208 households; 10 local authorities and additional 330 community members via training
Donor: AusAID and Habitat for Humanity Australia
Budget: US$ 217,641

Long An

Project name: Housing upgrade in Long An province via Microfinance partnership
Project length: March 2015 – August 2015
Project purpose: Shelter, WASH
Beneficiaries: 22 households; 75 community members and local authorities via training
Donor: P&G